Modifications to Child Custody – Changing Your Arrangements in the State of Texas

Modifications to Child Custody

As a divorced parent, you may have found yourself in this situation – you have a child custody arrangement that is going swimmingly. Your ex is happy with the schedule, you’re happy with the child support, everything is good.

Until it’s not.

Unexpectedly, things change that cause what was previously a good arrangement to be less than ideal. A new work schedule, a disagreement over parenting style, a new job in a different city, or the introduction of a new partner in your life can impact how often you are able to see your child.

That’s life – a series of fluctuating circumstances. In these cases, a modification to the custody order may be necessary and our Fort Worth, Texas Child Custody Lawyers can help.


Changes in Conservatorship

In Texas, changes in conservatorship, possession and access can be a tough path to navigate, so when our clients come to us because they are unsatisfied with current custody orders, we let them know that they have the option of filing a motion for a change in conservatorship, or possession and access.

As child custody lawyers who have deep knowledge of Texas custody laws, we’re able to help our clients assert their interests in court and negotiations, while also ensuring that the best interests of their child are protected.


Modify Custody in Texas – The Requirements

Courts in Texas will only grant changes to child custody arrangements if they are in the best interests of the child. But one of three more requirements will also need to be fulfilled.

  1. The conservator, child or other party’s situation must have changed substantially since the initial custody order was placed (think job loss, frequent residency changes by the primary conservator, or big schedule changes that prevent spending enough time with the child).
  2. If the child is at least 12 years old, he or she can submit to the court, in writing, the name of a person who they would prefer to choose where they live. Ultimately, the court is responsible for making the final decision of where the child will live, though.
  3. The parent who has the exclusive rights to decide where the child lives chooses to give up possession and primary care to another parent for at least six months. This does not apply to conservator parents with exclusive rights who have temporarily given up primary care and possession in order to fulfill military responsibilities, such as mobilization and deployment.

At the Sisemore Law Firm, we know that our clients often need to be able to make changes to previous child custody agreements, and we help our clients execute these modifications. Our goal is to do what is best for you and your children.

We can help guide you through the process of child custody modifications in Texas. For a consultation with an experienced lawyer, email us or call our Fort Worth office at 817-406-2470.